Biscot windmill in the 1890s, as photographed by James Davis, of Luton. The mill ceased to be wind powered around 1925 when the sails were taken down. The Luton News later reported that the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings had hoped to preserve the mill, and, later still, a lack of funds and space had prevented an attempt by the Friends of Luton Museum to relocate the mill to Wardown. There was also a problem of dismantling it as, although rotten on the outside, its internal beams were as strong as ever. The then owner, Mr A. H. Tooley, had thought of fixing steel hawsers to the top and pulling the structure down with a tractor but the proximity of other buildings made that dangerous. He then hoped to get the co-operation of the fire brigade to be on standby when he burned it down – with a news reel firm on hand to record the event. In the end, on June 30th, 1938, a Biggleswade contractor began a piecemeal demolition of the structure that took just a few days.